Google Hangouts Video Plugin for Microsoft Outlook
Add video calls to Microsoft Outlook® meetings
Google Apps for Business users can schedule Hangouts video calls with other Outlook users in their company with the Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook®. This plugin is also used by Chromebox for meetings organizations that do not have Google Apps for Business. The plugin adds a video call name to the Microsoft Outlook event, and participants join the video call from a Chromebox for meetings device by entering the video call name using the remote control.
Install the Plugin
To install the Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook®, you must have administrator privileges on your computer. Please see your administrator for help.
- On a Windows computer, open a browser and go to https://tools.google.com/dlpage/hangouts_outlookplugin.
- Click Download Hangouts Plugin for Microsoft Outlook®.
- Run the downloaded HangoutsOutlookPlugin.exe to complete the installation.
Create a Hangouts video call
The plugin adds two buttons in the Office Ribbon for Outlook Mail and Calendar: one for scheduled and one for unscheduled video calls. Scheduled
- Click Schedule a Hangout to create a new meeting populated with Hangouts video call details.
- If you are editing a meeting, you can click Add Hangout to meeting. This adds the video call name to the location field and instructions for joining the meeting in the body.
- Click Start a new Hangout to launch a spontaneous video call. The video call opens in your default browser.
- If you are using a Chromebox for meetings device, enter the video call name into the text box.
Internal participants You can invite internal participants—people who have Google Apps accounts in the same domain—in multiple ways:
- Add them as a guest to the calendar event.
- Add them as a guest in the video call.
- If your organization has Chromebox for meetings devices, you can send them the video call name.
- Start your video call.
- Once you have joined the meeting, click to add new guests.
- Enter the guest’s email address and then hit the Invite button to send an email with the link to your guests.
Join a video call
If you have Google apps for Business accounts, you can join the video call by clicking the link in the email.
If you do not have Google Apps for Business accounts, you can join from your Chromebox for meetings device by entering the meeting name using the remote control.
Change your default video call settings
To customize your default video call settings, click New >Meeting request, then click Hangout Settings in the ribbon.